Born across the world. Escaped from danger. Now your neighbor.
Refugee (noun): A person who has fled his/her country of origin and who cannot return to his/her home due to fear of persecution based on race, religion, ethnic group, or membership in a particular social or political group.
The people of the world have always been on the move. We see this clearly in Biblical history, ancient and even in modern history throughout the globe. What should our response be to the unprecedented number of refugees who are being resettled in Dallas? We believe that the Nations are coming to our doorstep by God’s sovereign hand, opening up opportunities for world evangelization. We believe God is so adamant that we preach the gospel to all Peoples that he is bringing Unreached Peoples to us!
• 200,000 refugees in the greater Dallas area.
• 10,000 refugees were resettled in Texas in 2015.
• 51% of refugees worldwide are children.
• The United States regularly takes in more refugees for permanent resettlement than all other countries in the world.
• Refugees living in America are legal residents invited by the government to live and work permanently in the US.
• The Government only provides 30-60 days of services to new arrivals to the U.S.
PCPC partners with For the Nations Refugee Outreach (FTNRO) in Dallas, whose mission is to “provide educational and acculturation services that help meet the practical needs of refugees and to share with them the gospel of Jesus Christ.” They currently serve over 1,550 refugees. Over the last several years they have developed high quality, effective educational programs and have shared the good news of Christ with many DFW area refugees. Their vision is to bring these proven programs to more and more of the area’s large and growing refugee population.
PCPC also partners closely with Vickery Trading Company (VTC) in Dallas, whose mission is to “equip refugee women for long-term success.” They do this with a tri-fold model of vocational development, personal training (ESL, reading, financial literacy, and domestic violence training) and fair wages.
How Can I Be Involved?
Weekly Service Opportunities (note that these are more limited during Covid)
- Intern with For the Nations.
- Provide a meal for weekly Bible study with New City Fellowship and join in the conversation from 11-12:30 on Thursdays
- Volunteer for a 2 hour slot at Vickery Trading Company assisting with office tasks and building relationships with the Associates. Sign up in advance to ensure proper social distancing. Click HERE
- Provide healthy snacks for VTC Associates while they are working in the shop. Sign up HERE
- Serve as a Conversation Partner with an Associate at VTC. Every Associate will be matched with a volunteer to practice English and reading skills in an informal conversational setting. They will meet once a week from 9:30-10:30 AM. We will provide a list of ideas for conversation topics. We can also do this virtually and set our Associates up within the office if you are interested and unable to join us in the office.
For more information contact Sarah at email@example.com or (214) 224-2524.